This is a blog about friendship...

How Do I Participate??

Check out the August 3rd post for instructions and info on how to become an author!!  We'd love to have you!

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Logan's Greatest FM 100 Fan

You know what is impossible? Trying to watch "Steel Magnolias" without crying. You know what else is impossible? Trying to describe and sufficiently do justice to the glorious, the incomparable, the beautiful, and endlessly talented Lara Garner. This is a blog entry I have been rehearsing in my head for weeks now! It is as intimidating as opening one of Lara's cupboards. I mean, honestly, I thought I was slightly-above-average organized! There are labels, people! (And subsequently, there are now labels in the Coccimiglio household).

I remember first seeing Lara in the RS room. I was an Edgemont
rookie. I saw her and knew IMMEDIATELY that I wanted to be her friend. She just had this way about her. And then, a few months in, she gave this lesson in Relief Society about husband and wife relationships. It was AMAZING. She made, MADE! a DVD that highlighted the relationship between Sister and President Hinckley. It was unbelievable. Actually, words can't really do justice to how poignant and special and amazing this DVD was. I'll never forget it.

That was just my first taste in what would become an endless smorgasbord of Lara's talents. Truly, they are endless. She is a wonderfully, wonderfully talented singer. She is so gifted with her hands. She can make anything...and she makes it perfect, flawless, and beautiful. She made the most amazing blanket for my Will when he was just born. I love seeing it still because I know of the care she took in selecting the perfect fabrics, cutting and sewing it perfectly straight so it would fold up perfect, even the way she presented it to me in the hospital was with such care. (I tried to make a blanket once. She came with me to the fabric store, spent many, many minutes figuring out how much fabric I would need to buy, and spent many, many minutes helping me fix my sewing mistakes.)

Lara has flawless taste and an amazing eye. She makes everything
she touches beautiful. If she wanted, she could be a successful graphic artist, or Broadway star, or best-selling author, or major event planner. While serving as the Enrichment leader, she organized, decorated, and executed the most AMAZING RS birthday. The ward's cultural hall was unrecognizable. It was so beautiful and classy. There was no detail that wasn't carefully considered. It was so perfectly Lara.

I have so many favorite memories. Like the time my alarm system was being worked on by the world's most frightening alarm system maintenance man. I was seriously afraid for my personal safety. The dude was toothless, and I could just imagine myself ending up on a future episode of "Unsolved Mysteries"! So, I called Lara and asked her to get over to my house as soon as humanly possible. Within minutes, a wet-haired Lara just shows up for what we pretended was a casual, impromptu visit. You know, because most people make social calls with their hair soaking wet. What we both knew was that it was labor of love to preserve my personal virtue.

Another favorite memory happened just a few weeks after I had Will. She
called and asked if she could come get Abby for a few hours. She exposed Abby to wondrous world of Easy Mac, played games, and made Valentines' Day cards with her. I still have the card Abby made me at Lara's house, both as a reminder of my sweet little girl, and the friend who just knew how much I needed a chance to rest. I went to Costco the next day for a month supply of Easy Mac.

Lara has been there for me. Over and over again. I bawled....ugly bawled....on her floor the morning I found out about Will's food allergies. She was the greatest, most needed support doing those
most-important first months as a new Primary President. She gave me the confidence I needed in myself. I don't think she'll ever know how much she meant to me, and how much her influence still helps me. She bought me my most favorite pajama pants one time when I was sick. She is one of my favorite people to call and chat with on the phone. She makes me feel understood, validated, and loved. She gives the greatest advice. Ever.

She knows how to honor big moments. Lara organized, with the help of the rest of our amazing friends, the most thoughtful "Pre Marathon" gift. I love my leopard print bag, and the boost it gave me to know my friends were pulling for me. She, and Baxter, worked for hours to create THE MOST AMAZING 30th birthday present for me. It was a bin that contained 30 things about me...and everything had a poem! I still have every single poem and will treasure them forever. Not much can compare with how it feels to find such surprises.

And that is just it! She doesn't know how to do anything but without giving all of herself. She certainly gave up everything to deliver one of the world's most special children alive. She endured everything to keep one of the world's most adorable little girls healthy and strong and inside of her womb for as long as possible. She sacrificed everything for months and months to give her bum a chance at a happy, normal future. In her family, her friendships, and in her callings...she makes everything special because of that. You would think she would be the most intimidating person in the world to be friends with, and isn't it amazing that she isn't?

I love watching her as a mom. I love seeing Will's art displayed proudly around her house. I love her fridge, her
calendars, and her weekly menus. I love her deep-cleaning schedule. I love the way her house smells. I love how comfortable I could feel sitting on her bed with her watching American Idol, with Patrick on the chair. I love how she looks in a hat, and with curly hair. I love that she loves Target as much as I do. And I LOVE how she loves Disney, probably more than even I do. I love her taste in music. I love her relationship with Patrick. I love her cute mom. I love her toy room. I love how cute Millie looks on Sundays (back when I used to go to church :) ). I love her bruschetta. I love that she loves my breadsticks. I love how we can sing Janet songs together and love every minute of it. I love her sense of humor. I love her testimony. I love her blog. I love how she comments so faithfully on my blog, even when weeks go by between postings. I love how cool she is. I love her Christmas cookies, although they are too pretty to eat. I love the way she looks at life. I love how she can express herself perfectly. I love how much she loves holidays, and the way she makes them such a big deal. I love that the 4th of July and St Patrick's Day are her favorites.

And I wouldn't feel like this tribute was complete if I didn't highlight my little buddy, Will. He has
always been so special to me. I love his mind. I love his sweet nature. I love his imagination. Will is one of my favorite people, and I know that he is what he is because of Lara and Patrick. When Will got up and said his part during the Primary Program, I could not stop bawling for 15 minutes. I knew what a triumph that was for him, and what an answer to prayer it was for his sweet parents. This special, amazing boy gave his CTR ring, right off his finger, to my little Abby one Sunday. She had somehow gotten lost in the church foyer on just her 2nd week of Sunbeams. Will saw her crying as I held her, walked over, and gave her the ring so she would feel better. That act of service has meant more to me than any other in my life. I still can't think about it without crying. I will always be proud that my son shares a name with such a wonderful Will.

All those months ago in the RS room, I thought I knew how great it would be to be her friend. I had NO idea just how great it would be. Love you, Lara.

8 comments:

  1. Ok, so I have to say that I feel pretty special to be the first commenter on this posting of my most wonderful sister. Jen, she is all those things you said and more. I didn't know how much we were alike until I got married and now Greg is always telling me how much we are alike (and I think he and Patrick have shared some moments together talking about it)! I still don't think we look alike, but we sure have similar personalities. We have shared some fun and some not so fun moments together. I feel so lucky to call her my sister and best friend!

    Love ya Lara! (I wish everyday that we could be neighbors)

    P.S. I did shed a few tears reading this post and writing this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to say that I love Lara more than I've ever had the nerve to tell her. I'm not one that can easily say the words "I love you" and don't think I've said it to any of the Garners yet. But I do. How can you not love Lara Garner?? Honestly?!
    This post covered so many of the reasons why we all love her so much. And like Steph said...there are so many more reasons. I just think Lara is one amazing gal and comes from a wonderful family. She always talks about what a jealous person she is and how she compares her life to others...I doubt she has any clue how many people are jealous of her and want parts of her life. It's true...can I hear an AMEN?!
    Love you Lara. Glad to see someone had the "balls" to write a tribute to you-I knew mine would come up too un-perfect to do you justice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So...

    You know when there's a "secret sister" or a "draw a name" for Christmas? I always spend a ton of time on a gift and getting the exact right thing...and the person who draws me, forgets, and then gets something in the checkout line at the grocery store. I have NEVER, NEVER, been drawn by the gal who gives the awesome gift! This is a FIRST! As has been mentioned previously...Jen is the most amazing writer in the world. How did I get so lucky? (Plus...she's so nice that she REALLY embellishes the truth!)

    Thanks Jen! Man...I could not possibly have finished my week off better. I really didn't start this blog so that someone would write something so kind about me. It was mostly so I could stop being selfish and do something for someone else, for a change!

    I really needed that though. I so, so, so, appreciate that you spent time doing this. When you feel so crappy. I cannot imagine that it was top on your priority list. It means so much that you did it.

    Really, what do I say? Thanks seems lame! I sure love you...it's nice to know that other people like me...at least some times. (Oh, and Steph and Crystal...thanks too!)

    My list for planned tributes is getting so long! It almost makes me giddy! This is the best warm fuzzy ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great tribute. And it's all true plus a thousand. I totally agree with everything...

    the yummy house smell, the endless list of talent after talent, after talent...it's just downright exhausting to think about. Lara helped me write my first original composition. She knows how stupid I am when it comes to music timing and I can still hear her counting out that song...and then stopping me..uh Erin...that doesn't work. Of course I had no concept of what the heck she was talking about...but she knew...and she made the song perfect. That song has been performed dozens of times by dozens of people thanks to her...

    And her baking skills...I KNOW! Seriously, everything is so pretty, you don't want to eat it! Of course I had a photo shoot with my food before I even thought about putting it in my mouth!

    She taught me how to paper scrap! I seriously didn't know about eyelets and brads until Lara patiently sat down with me and showed me how to do it...and let me tell you the kind of patience that took!

    Naturally her kids are the cutest ever...look at her!

    And her lessons...wow...she's awesome! She has such an amazing willingness to serve. Even when she doubted herself...she'd agree anyway and take on a HUGE calling and a HUGE project and deliver HUGE!

    What else can I say Lara? I could go on for a while...
    You're awesome...amazing...the best!!! Love ya lots girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heart Lara! I will go back to the first time I ever met Lara. It was an elders quorum activity to go and see a movie at temple square and then ice cream at cold stone. I remember the humor she had towards her family upbringing. How her siblings as well as how her mother have always used their humor as well as sarcasm to get themselves through the hardest times. I am so much like that I knew that Lara and I would share a sarcastic comment/moment every now and again. I never would have suspected then that I would share a bed with Lara in Disney, or that I would go and have a great conversation with Lara to just rehash and talk honestly about all of her bum issues as well as my little Adam. I love how honest Lara is. She gives the best advice and is never shy giving it. I think the first 3 years I was in YW we asked her to sing at every activity we could because her talents are numerous and amazazing. I also love how Lara scolds me directly as well as indirectly. When I was on my last week of bedrest I had a couple of calls from Baxter telling me about Lara saying I better take it easy and not get up and clean or do basically anything. She is everyone's big sister. Lara I know that we are big Garner fans in the Pollard house and cannot wait to make more memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I got goosebumps reading this. I will always be grateful to my dad for inviting you to the ward daddy-daughter cookout in third grade. That was the start of an amazing friendship. My only regret is the past 13 years we have let pass by without hardly staying in touch until this past year. I am sooooo glad to have you back in my life. I know that sounds really lame and mooshy and gross but I mean it.

    You always have given 110% to anything you do. Always! For example: The 5th Ward Roadshow, the girls camp presenation on Christ, our Senior Birthday celebrations (I heart Kenny Thomspon), your willingness to sing at anything and letting me be the accompaniest, teaching me and my sisters dance and swimming lessons and the list goes on and on.

    I have so many wonderful memories of our times together. Some are funny, some are sad, and some are very random. For example: Lying your head on me at Lagoon and I was worried that we would look like lesbians and when I moved you fainted. I caught you but you scraped up your hand pretty dang good.

    You used to melt cheese on a plate in the microwave just to eat it.

    You tried to swing on the bannister but landed on you back and started to hypervenilate. Ben and I laughed our butts off.

    Millions of sleepovers, watching movies and eating snacks. How did we not weigh 500 pounds?

    Our Senior Trip to Disneyland.

    Do you remember the "mall" we had and we actually tried to sell things? I can't believe our parents let us do that?

    Toilet papering you know who on graduation night.

    Making Halloween sugar cookies then dressing up in the Aunt Jane's Halloween masks and delivering the cookies.

    ALL of our prom night parties and all the stupid videos we made.

    The best thing was that I knew I could count on you for anything. You were and are an amazing friend! I think we had something that was truly special and I am so thankful for all those years and memories!

    I love your guts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen-this was a perfect tribute. This post was so true and reflected the amazingness that is Lara Garner. When I was called to be Enrichment Leader after Lara was released I thought, "I have to follow Lara? That's a lot to live up to." (And, I have to add that whoever follows Sister Coccimiglio as Primary President will have the same challenge.) I also love the way Lara's house smells! It is the Garner smell and I love it-it smells fresh and clean. I loved driving down to Powell with Lara and Patrick. It made the 5 hour drive go by so quickly.

    When we brought Sydney home from the hospital Lara, Patrick and the Baird's brought us Cafe Rio along with a care package of baby gifts. First of all, Cafe Rio has NEVER tasted as good as it did that night. And the care package included great supplies that we were totally unprepared with. And it was especially nice because we were fairly new in the ward and it meant a lot that they would help us out. We love the Garner's.

    And by the way, that story about Will giving his CTR ring to Abby totally made me cry. What a sweet gesture! And you know that he learned that service from his parents-awesome examples, Garner Family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I say my prayers at night I always try to think of all of my blessings. Sometimes It is easier than others, for the past 2 years one blessing that has stayed constant is the blessing of my friends. It kills me to think that I lived no more than 2 blocks away from Lara for 4 years and we didn't ever meet. What a waste of 4 years. Every second that I get to spend with lara is a treat. She is the most talented person I know. Not only is she super talented, she knows how to use her talents and use them well. Lara is everything that I wish I could be. I'm always jealous of all of Lara's artsy talents but the one thing I am most jealous of is of her hair. I would give anything to have Lara's thick curly locks. Lara, don't you ever complain again about your hair again. Just think you could be stuck with Liz's three hairs. I love you Lara.

    PS.. Jenn B. Just told me about this blog today. I am so upset that I have missed out on commenting on some awesome posts. Why am I always just a little behind on everything.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design By:Lara Lou